Meet Wendell !
Our Weedy Seadragon Mascot
Thanks to everyone that entered and participated in our
“Name our Weedy Seadragon” competition. We’re proud to have selected a name for our friendly mascot.
This little creature, and the marine emblem of the State of Victoria, has been with us from the very beginning. Displayed on the side of our ferries, the Weedy Seadragon has journeyed far and wide, a constant and loyal companion for Port Phillip Ferries.
We’ve even created a super cute and super plush Weedy Seadragon toy, which now features in our recently released Kids Activity Packs.
Our fishy friend has finally got a permanent name, and we look forward to having him around more over the journey
Keep scrolling below to learn more about this fabulous underwater creature and stay tuned for more Weedy Seadragon action in the future.
Although the competition is over, if you would like to stay up to date with any Fun, Ferry, Family news and Adventures, feel free to enter your details below to stay in touch.
Learn All About The Weedy Seadragon
Ten Fun Facts:
1. Did you know this spectacular fish is a close relative of the seahorse?
2. Unlike their seahorse cousins, their thin tails cannot be used to grip onto things
3. With a body wrapped in rings and decorated with elaborate seaweed-like accessories, it’s a master of camouflage
4. They are awkward swimmers and seem quite content to tumble and drift in the current like seaweed
5. Weedy Sea Dragons use their long snouts to feed. They do not have teeth or a stomach, so they eat almost constantly while covering wide areas searching for prey
6. They feed on mysid shrimp, a favourite food, and other small crustaceans, plankton, and larval fishes
7. Weedy Sea Dragons like to swim alone or in pairs. They are most active during the daytime
8. The male Sea dragons take care of the developing eggs
9. Weedy Sea Dragons live in sheltered reefs and seagrass beds in shallow bays
10. Sea Dragons are only found in Australia