Easily travel between Geelong and Docklands on a world-class ferry. Enjoy the sights and sounds of Port Phillip Bay in unmatched comfort on the way to your destination.
Rail and Sail
Sunday 5th November 2023
- Adult Rail and Sail
- Seniors Rail and Sail
- SRV Member Rail and Sail
- Under 17 Rail and Sail
- Under 3 Rail and Sail
Steamrail and Sail
Sunday 5th November 2023
Combine the romance & excitement of a sea voyage with the nostalgia & style of a heritage steam train onboard Steamrail Victoria’s Rail and Sail. Choose your way to travel on a day’s return journey between Melbourne and Geelong.
A great day out for the whole family; with Steamrail Victoria’s Rail and Sail tour providing three exciting options for you to choose from:
- RAIL FIRST – Rail First from Melbourne, Southern Cross to Geelong and Return by Sail to Melbourne, Docklands
- RAIL ONLY – Rail from Melbourne, Southern Cross to Geelong and Return to Melbourne, Southern Cross
- SAIL FIRST – Sail First from Melbourne, Docklands to Geelong and Return by Rail to Melbourne, Southern Cross
These options are set out in more detail below.
1. Rail First from Melbourne, Southern Cross to Geelong and Return by Sail to Melbourne, Docklands (Rail First)
This option starts off with our Heritage Steam Train departing from Melbourne’s Southern Cross Station at 10:40 am. The train is scheduled to arrive in Geelong at 12:10 pm.
You will then have time to explore Geelong and the Waterfront, before making your way to Steampacket Pier (near Cunningham Pier) for the scheduled 4:00 pm sailing of the ‘Geelong Flyer’.
Finish the afternoon off enjoying the homeward journey across Port Phillip Bay and then up the Yarra River for arrival at approximately 5:30 pm at Docklands Terminal. Once again, a contrasting style to the morning’s Rail journey.
2. Sail First from Melbourne, Docklands to Geelong and Return by Rail to Melbourne, Southern Cross (Sail First)
This option involves an 11:00 am departure of the ‘Geelong Flyer’ from Docklands, only a 10-minute walk from Southern Cross Station (Docklands Terminal). Located behind Marvel Stadium, adjacent to the Bourke St/Harbour Esplanade Tram Stop.
The Geelong Flyer will cruise down the Yarra River and then travel across Port Phillip Bay providing the opportunity to take in views of the city and the bay that you would not normally see. The Geelong Flyer is scheduled to arrive at Steampacket Pier (near Cunningham Pier) in Geelong at approximately 12:30 pm.
You will then have time to explore Geelong and its waterfront before heading back to the Geelong Railway Station for the 3:50 pm departure of our Heritage Diesel Hauled Train, on its Journey back to Melbourne, arriving at 5:15 pm. A contrasting journey to the morning’s Sail on the Bay.
3. Rail only is also available from Melbourne